Friday, April 12, 2013

Wowzas! Things are looking up around here!

Hello everyone!

I can't remember exactly when I wrote the last post, but it doesn't feel like it was that long ago...but in that amount of time--this happened!!!  I don't know how different it looks from an outside perspective, but let me tell you--this was a lot of work.

After we removed the cement pile (yes!), I immediately went into hard labor mode.  For about a week solid, I went out there and went to "digging."  And it was the single most dissatisfying act that I've ever experienced.  The shovel would go in one centimeter (no joke!) and it would hit a rock, which I would pry out and toss into my rock pile (pictured below).  This continued for a good three days until I could finally "dig" like digging should happen (where the shovel actually enters the soil).  I also laid my brick/cement keyhole path for the garden (Peter did the larger path to the right--ain't it purdy?), built the small raised bed for leafy greens (we've heard that Baltimore has high lead issues--I'll be testing the soil to find out for sure), installed the gutter to grow my baby greens, and added some organic matter to the soil. 

That's it for now!  Thanks for reading! 
      
Our new backyard! 
The baby greens gutter garden!  Reuse Reduce Recycle! 
The way things look from the back corner.
The dreaded rock pile.  There were so. many. rocks. in. that. SOIL!!!!  AHHH!
Peter's beautiful path. 
A couple pea plants I transplanted to the raised bed.  The first green things to grow in our back yard! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Love your posts. Try Googling 'mason jar herb garden'. Just the thiing for those wood fences of yours!
    Hope to see you soon,
    Emily (Friedman)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good Katie! You should be proud of that rock pile. :) I know it was hard earned. Your peas are a wonderful sight for my snow laden Minnesota eyes.
    Your Favorite Mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking pretty darn good Katie monster. Tell Peter his path looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, looks like a lovely flagstone path.

    ReplyDelete