Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Oooo! Look at all that greeeeen!

Alright, guys...so here's the thing.  I got a little behind with my posts.  So, these photos are actually from a couple of weeks ago.  What I really want to say is, "and you should see it now!!!!" because you should!  I'll post photos of what it currently looks like ASAP.  I promise.  But for now, look at all of this green!  At the time, this was such a huge success.  I really had no idea if anything would really grow in this soil; it was so dry and just hard clay.  But somehow it's working!  I have a lead test that's coming to me in the mail.  And hopefully the results from that will say that veggies will be safe to eat.  Then I'll get to direct seeding a bunch of things.  In the meantime, I've planted a few tomato plants, and one eggplant plant...they say fruit is typically always safe regardless of how much lead you have in your soil.  I should mention that you shouldn't look for the tomato plants in these photos, though, as I planted them this week, AFTER the photos were taken.  Maybe I should stop writing and save all of these things for tomorrow's post.  =)  Thanks for reading, guys!
Here it is!
That stick in the foreground is a fig tree that I've been nursing all winter.  It still hasn't put out any leaves, and looks really dead...and is yet green everywhere when I do the "scratch test."  I'll keep you updated...
That string on the fence is where the hops will hopefully grow.  The hops were a gift from a friend who is a really great home brewer.  I've promised him the hops I get from the plant since I wouldn't know the first thing to do with them...
Moss between the bricks and cement!  Adorable!!!
Close-up of Dave's hops. 
I finally put sand in between the rocks and bricks, I think it looks a lot better, and they're way easier to walk on. 
Another photo of almost the entire yard!
Raised bed, just in case there's lead!
Green!!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you do the moss milk blender project for the stone pathway? Looks good and greeeeeen Katie :D

    ReplyDelete